- Comprehensively research Indian law and policy related issues using the modern research tools.
- Review complex fact situations involving the principals of federal Indian law and Tribal Government, and from them distill the issues concerning the ways that tribes interrelate with federal or state governmental entities, or with individuals, and memorialize their understanding.
- Become familiar with the major federal Indian law policy shifts over time and how they have impacted Indian law and policy as we know it today.
- Focus their electives on areas of advanced study related to either tribal economic development (including gaming), natural resources or social services.
- Demonstrate skills in research and writing by preparing a final written capstone that demonstrates their substantive knowledge in the areas most interest to them, using the capstone as an opportunity to focus their work carefully on a discrete legal or policy issue.