The externship program at The University of Tulsa College of Law offers 2L and 3L students the opportunity to join supervising attorneys and judges in real-world practice for academic credit. Students take a contemporaneous academic course, which provides the opportunity for reflection, feedback and additional substantive knowledge.
Opportunities exist in a broad range of areas: traditional, non-traditional, and judicial. In addition to the many placement opportunities provided by the College of Law, students can secure their own placements (subject to approval) or work directly with the director to create an experience tailored to the student’s individual preferences.
Advantages for Externs
- Externships provide the opportunity to move from thinking like a lawyer in the classroom to thinking like a lawyer in a practice setting.
- Obtain significant experience and knowledge in a specialized area of law through practical experience augmented by classroom learning
- Enhance research, writing, and analytical skills
- Develop professional skills including client service, case responsibility and management, application of ethical and legal principles in practice, and networking with legal professionals
- Acquire lawyering skills by working with attorneys, judges, non-traditional JD’s, clients, and real-world problems
- Earn the confidence to present themselves to future employers as “practice-ready” as possible
Exposure to Different Areas of Law
|Criminal Law and Procedure||International Law|
|Entertainment Law||Native American Law|
|Environmental Law||Public Interest/Social Justice|
|Estate Planning||Public Policy|
|Foundations/Trusts||Real Estate Transactions|
|Family Law/Child Advocacy||Social Security Law|
|Government Affairs||Tax Law|
|Health Law||Trial Advocacy|
Opportunities are available locally and throughout the country. Full-semester out-of-state placements are available during the summers and/or the last semester of the 3L year.